Monday, October 28, 2013

Beyond the Frame by Andy Gullahorn

GENRE: SINGER/ SONGWRITER
LABEL: ST. JEROME MUSIC
RELEASE DATE: AUGUST 13, 2013

Andy Gullahorn is a special kind of artist. He has a way of creating music that is beautiful and extremely personable. Every album of his has been filled with witty songwriting, humor, and depth. Gullahorn’s fifth album, Beyond the Frame, is no exception.

Beyond the Frame, Andy GullahornThe album opens beautifully with “I Will,” where Gullahorn promises the listener a companion while going down this road of brokenness where many souls have gone, “if you want someone who will just cry with you, I can/ some say, there’s nothing they’re ashamed of/ they cover up the tracks from the hell where they’ve been/ if you’re looking for something broken, I am.”

“Any Less True” is one of those songs that puts into words feelings that resonate so true, “I said I’d love you all my life/ I never want to fail you/ and though I’ve done it a thousand times/ that doesn’t make it any less true.” This particular song is a personal favorite.

“Skinny Jeans” boasts the humorous songwriting that has come to be expected from Gullahorn. Not to mention it has a catchy tune.

Even “Line in the Sand” has a familiar feel to his past records, mixing a little humor with real life depth.
Beyond the Frame is full of songs about wrestling with God during heartbreak (“Nowhere to be Found”), love (“My Language”), and the only thing that matters in this life (“The Other Side”). There is such depth to this album that with each listen I pick up on something new.

As great an album as this is, I still skip a few tracks. “Same Song” becomes a bit mundane after a few listens and “Flash in the Pan” has little musical appeal to me. But even these songs are not bad; they just are not as good as the rest of the album which make them stick out.


Beyond the Frame is an absolutely fantastic record. Andy Gullahorn seems to get better with each release, and this album shows a real maturity both musically and lyrically. For existing fans of Gullahorn, this is a no-brainer. For those unfamiliar with his work, this is a great place to start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment